Submitted by: Michael Yip - Added to website on: 4 September 2007
This crew-neck style away shirt is exactly the same as that from the 1987-1988, except for the change of sponsorship from Crownpaints to Candy. This Candy sponsored shirt was only worn for a single season 1988-1989.
More examples of this shirt
Submitted by: Michael Yip
- Added to website on: 15 September 2009
First of all, the story must start with a Hummel brand Aston Villa home shirt spanning for two seasons - 1987-1988 and 1988-1989. This shirt has a red / grey-stripped halves design.
Recall what kits we had in these two seasons: red home kit and grey change kit, same design template but different sponsorship logo - Candy took over Crownpaints as the shirt sponsor in season 1988-1989.
Stepping into the season 1988-1989, we still faced the problem of kit colour-clash with Aston Villa's home kit.
However, it was a fresh start of Candy sponsorship season and there was no predecessor white kits available like the Crownpaints era.
Under such circumstances, we couldn't wear the red Candy or grey Candy shirts. We also couldn't wear the same white Crownpaints shirt because of new sponsorship taking off.
Inevitably, Liverpool released a one-off white third shirt with Candy sponsor. This shirt was never released as replicas for sale.
Featured Steve Nicol wearing this 1988-1989 Third white Candy shirt in action.
To be exact, the 1988-1989 third white Candy shirt was only worn ONCE on 10 September 1988 against Aston Villa at Villa Park. As we can see, Peter Beardsley played as a substitute and replaced John Barnes in this match. And Peter Beardsley's shirt was a number 12.
Note that Alan Hansen was absent for most of this 1988-1989 season due to injury. He was only fit again to play lately in the Hillsborough F.A. Cup Semi Final on 15 April 1989.
More details can be seen here: http://www.liverpoolkits.com/liverpool1988tp.html
Submitted by: David Price
- Added to website on: 4 May 2010
one of 800 shirts from my collection I do have shirts for sale from email@example.com
- Submitted by: A S - Added to website on: 11 March 2011
Submitted by: Alan Hansen
- Added to website on: 6 December 2013
Liverpool 1988 1989 Away Shirt
See 300 more Liverpool shirts on facebook at
87/88 Home Shirt Liverpool FC Retro Replica Shirt from Official LFC Shop
Official LFC 87/88 Home Shirt This is a replica version of the 1987/88 Liverpool Football home shirt which was worn by John Barnes and England team mate Peter Beardsley in their 2-1 debut win against Arsenal on 15th August 1987 at Highbury. As you will already know Barnes and Beardsley linked up with John Aldridge and then Ian Rush to form one of the most formidable attacking forces of Liverpool's illustrious history. Features include a white collar with red trim, a contrast white Liverpool... more
Available direct from Official LFC Shop for just £30.
Liverpool football shirts for sale
For a great selection of shirts you can buy online right now visit our website dedicated to selling Liverpool shirts:
Liverpool NewsFrom BBC Sport
- Steven Gerrard: Liverpool captain out for at least a month. 11 Dec 2013 at 12:59pm Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard will be out for at least a month with the hamstring injury picked up against West Ham. more..
- Liverpool 4-1 West Ham United. 7 Dec 2013 at 5:37pm Liverpool cruise past West Ham in a match that features three own goals, plus one from the in-form Luis Suarez. more..
- Luis Suarez: Liverpool ideal for striker - Brendan Rodgers. 4 Dec 2013 at 11:56pm Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says the club is the perfect place for Premier League top-scorer Luis Suarez. more..